This S'mores Rice Krispie Treats recipe made with rice cereal, graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows makes for a fun variation! Flavors of traditional s'mores in one sweet treat.
Crushed graham crackers, the signature melted marshmallows, and dark chocolate chips in a cereal treat! Bring the campfire favorite inside to enjoy for all seasons.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Fun twist on the classic
- No bake dessert
- Simple recipe
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the main ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Crispy rice cereal - If these need to be completely gluten-free, make sure to purchase rice cereal that is labeled as gluten-free. Original Rice Krispies cereal contains malt and is not gluten-free, but they now make a separate gf version. To ensure that these crispy squares are also vegan, choose a rice cereal that is also vegan.
Mini marshmallows - Ensure that the label notes that your marshmallows are gluten-free. To make this recipe vegan, also make sure the label is marked vegan. The Dandies vegan marshmallows brand is completely gluten-free.
Graham crackers - Instead of making a marshmallow sandwich, homemade gluten-free graham crackers are crushed and mixed into delicious dessert squares (just like in the s'mores cookies!). If using store-bought crackers, make sure the label designates them as gluten-free. This is also true to ensure they are dairy-free or vegan if necessary.
Chocolate chips - Vegan chocolate chips keep things dairy-free. Semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks or morsels work well depending on your preference. Regular dairy-based milk chocolate chips can be substituted if dairy-free is not needed.
Coconut oil - Unlike the classic version, these s'mores treats use coconut oil instead of unsalted butter.
Before you start: Line a 9x9 or 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine rice cereal, salt, and ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add 4 cups of the mini marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted. Add marshmallow mixture and vanilla extract to the cereal mixture and stir to evenly coat the cereal. Working quickly, fold in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
Step 2: Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper to press down into an even layer. Before completely pressing down, sprinkle ⅓ cup of the remaining marshmallows, 2 tablespoons crushed graham crackers, and 1 tablespoon chocolate chips over top. Allow to set at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Not all rice cereals are gluten-free! This is important to know if you have celiac or are avoiding gluten. Nature's Path and Barbara's brands carry gluten-free crispy rice versions as well. You can find these brands at Whole Foods, Sprouts, health food stores, and local grocery store.
- If you don't want a subtle hint of coconut (I really didn't notice!), opt for using refined coconut oil. It has a neutral flavor and scent as opposed to virgin coconut oil.
- When folding in your chocolate chips with the gooey marshmallows, some will become melted chocolate, but that's okay because S'MORES! (And if you love s'mores, you've got to try my s'mores bars!)
Rice krispie treats can be gluten-free, but it depends on the brand and type of crisp rice cereal you are using. Not all rice cereals are gluten-free.
Traditional rice krispie treats use butter as one of the main ingredients. This recipe utilizes coconut oil keeping the gooey marshmallow squares dairy-free.
If you are in search of additional no-bake recipes, Beaming Baker's no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars are high on my list for this summer.
More gluten-free cereal treats
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 cups gluten-free regular or brown crispy rice cereal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons crushed gluten-free graham crackers, divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 + ⅓ cups mini vegan or regular marshmallows, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- Line a 9x9 or 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine rice cereal, salt, and ¾ cup crushed graham crackers.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil. Add 4 cups of the mini marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted.
- Add marshmallow mixture and vanille extract to cereal mixture and stir to evenly coat cereal. Working quickly, fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper to press down into an even layer. Before completely pressing down, sprinkle ⅓ cup marshmallows, 2 tablespoons crushed graham crackers, and 1 tablespoon chocolate chips over top. Continue to press down into an even layer until packed flat.
- Allow treats to set for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan to slice into squares.
- Treats are best the day they are made, store leftovers in an airtight container.