This S’mores Rice Krispies Treats recipe made with rice cereal, graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows makes for a fun variation! Made with coconut oil for a delicious dairy-free treat.
I’m 35 years old and one of my first thoughts when summer break began was, “I can’t wait to have a s’more.” You could lump this into the Will Never Grow Up category along with snow days and Christmas morning.
Some things just never get old.
Now, rice krispies treats could very well fall into that category too, and probably should. And boy were the gluten-free gods shining down on us when those delicious rice cereal treats could remain on the good list.
So, for a mash-up of favorites, I bring you these s’mores rice krispie treats. Crushed graham crackers, the signature melted marshmallows, and dark chocolate chips bring the campfire treat inside for all seasons.
To make these treats dairy-free, I swapped out the butter for coconut oil. When it comes to consistency and chew, your s’more rice krispies treats won’t miss a thing with this swap.
A few important notes for this recipe:
- Not all rice krispie cereals are gluten-free! This is important to know if you have celiac or are avoiding gluten. I often buy Erewhon brand, but Nature’s Path and Barbara’s brands carry gluten-free versions as well. You can find these brands at Whole Foods, Sprouts, health food stores, and a variety of grocery stores.
- If you don’t want a subtle hint of coconut (I really didn’t notice!), opt for using refined coconut oil. It has a neutral flavor and scent as opposed to virgin coconut oil.
- When folding in your chocolate chips, some will become melty, but that’s okay, because S’MORES!
If you are in search of additional no-bake recipes, Beaming Baker’s no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars are high on my list for this summer.
Other easy cereal treats:
S'mores Rice Krispies Treats
This S'mores Rice Krispies Treats recipe made with gluten-free rice cereal, graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows makes for a fun variation! Made with coconut oil for a delicious dairy-free treat.
- 4 cups gluten-free regular or brown krispie rice cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons crushed gluten-free graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 + 1/3 cups (10oz bag) mini vegan or regular marshmallows (I use Dandies brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon dairy-free chocolate chips
Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine rice cereal, salt, and 3/4 cup crushed graham crackers.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil. Add 4 cups of the mini marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted.
Add marshmallow mixture and vanille extract to cereal mixture and stir to evenly coat cereal. Working quickly, fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Transfer mixture to prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper to press down into an even layer. Before completely pressing down, sprinkle 1/3 cup marshmallows, 2 tablespoons crushed graham crackers, and 1 tablespoon chocolate chips over top. Continue to press down into an even layer until packed flat.
Allow s'more rice krispies treats to set for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan to slice into squares.
Treats are best the day they are made, store leftovers in an airtight container.