These Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats are made with brown rice cereal, cocoa powder, coconut oil, almond milk, and marshmallows. An easy no-bake dessert that is gluten-free and dairy-free!
Cereal treats are synonymous with easy.
The classic rice crispy treat, is well, a classic for a reason. With all the variations out there, the possibilities are endless.
But with a few swaps to make this chocolate no-bake recipe gluten-free, dairy-free, and even vegan, a simple sweet treat is still attainable.
Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats Ingredients
The ingredient list here is short! Here's what you'll need:
- Brown rice cereal (gluten-free)
- Coconut oil
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Mini marshmallows (vegan or regular)
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vanilla extract
Brown rice cereal
While brown rice cereal has more nutritional benefits than the widely known white rice cereal, brand name Rice Krispies are not gluten-free.
While brown and white rice are naturally gluten-free, it is the malt flavoring in Rice Krispies and other brands that gluten becomes added. Check your labels before purchasing to ensure your cereal is gluten-free.
Using coconut oil in this recipe keeps things dairy-free. While any type of coconut oil is fine to use, refined coconut oil is flavorless.
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Instead of using chocolate flavored rice cereal, unsweetened cocoa powder gives these gluten-free treats a rich chocolate flavor without added sugar.
Depending on the dietary needs in your household, regular or vegan marshmallows are the sweet binder that brings these treats together! When using vegan marshmallows, I love using Dandies brand.
More Gluten-Free Cereal Treats Recipes
Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- Spray a 9X9 square baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Place the brown rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the coconut oil in a medium nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat. If you don't have a nonstick saucepan, spray pan with cooking spray.
- When coconut oil has melted, whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until cocoa has dissolved. Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until melted down, about 5-10 minutes. As the marshmallows start to melt, add almond milk and contiue to stir. Once melted down, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to mixing bowl. Stir until all brown rice cereal has been coated. Transfer mixture to baking dish and using wax or parchment paper, press mixture into an even layer.
- Allow to cool completely. Slice into bars.