These Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats are made with rice cereal, cocoa powder, coconut oil, almond milk, and marshmallows. An easy no-bake dessert that is gluten-free and dairy-free!
Cereal treats are synonymous with easy.
Classic rice krispie treats are well, a classic for a reason. With all the variations out there, the possibilities are endless.
But with a few swaps to make these gooey treats gluten-free, dairy-free, and even vegan, simple no-bake treats are still attainable.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Chocolate lovers treat
- Easy recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Crispy rice cereal - If these need to be completely gluten-free, make sure to purchase rice cereal that is labeled as gluten-free. Original Rice Krispies cereal contains malt, but they now make a separate gf version.
To ensure that these crispy squares are also vegan, choose a rice cereal that is also vegan.
Coconut oil - Unlike the classic version, these treats use coconut oil instead of unsalted butter.
Unsweetened cocoa powder - Instead of using chocolate-flavored rice cereal, unsweetened cocoa powder gives these treats a rich chocolate flavor without added sugar.
Mini marshmallows - Ensure that the label notes that your marshmallows are gluten-free. To make this recipe vegan, also make sure the label is marked vegan.
The Dandies vegan marshmallows brand is completely gluten-free.
Before you start: Spray a 9X9 square pan with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Place the rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Step 1: Place the coconut oil in a medium or large saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat. When the coconut oil has melted, whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until the cocoa has dissolved.
Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until melted down about 5-10 minutes.
As the marshmallows start to melt, add almond milk and continue to stir. Once melted down, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Step 2: Transfer the gooey marshmallow mixture to the large bowl. Stir until all rice cereal has been coated.
Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and using wax paper or parchment paper, press mixture into an even layer.
Allow to cool completely. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into bars.
- For best results, use fresh marshmallows! I always recommend using marshmallows that have not yet been opened.
- If you'd like to elevate these squares, mix in extra marshmallows or mini chocolate chips before pressing the mixture into the pan.
Store the cereal bars in an airtight container or ziplock bag at room temperature for up to 3 days.
They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Not all chocolate rice treats are gluten-free, but when using gluten-free rice cereal like this recipe, they can be gluten-free.
There are a few reasons why your cereal treats turn out hard. It could be from overcooking the marshmallow mixture, using stale marshmallows, or packing the mixture too tightly.
Traditional rice krispie treats are made with butter and are not dairy-free. But they can be made dairy-free with the use of coconut oil or vegan butter.
More gluten-free cereal bar recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- Spray a 9X9 square baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Place the rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the coconut oil in a medium nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat. If you don't have a nonstick saucepan, spray pan with cooking spray.
- When coconut oil has melted, whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until cocoa has dissolved. Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until melted down, about 5-10 minutes. As the marshmallows start to melt, add almond milk and contiue to stir. Once melted down, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to the mixing bowl. Stir until all cereal has been coated. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. With parchment paper, press mixture into an even layer.
- Allow to cool completely before tranferring to a cutting board and slicing into bars.