Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is gluten-free and ready in just 30 minutes. Made with minimal ingredients and warming spices for a spicy sweet soup.
The humble sweet potato.
Why you'll love this recipe
- A perfect recipe for busy nights
- Made with simple ingredients and whole foods
- Creamy hot soup without the dairy!
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the main ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
Sweet potatoes - The starchiness of the cooked potatoes naturally lends itself to making a creamy soup.
But to ensure you have a thick and creamy sweet potato soup, you don't want to add too much vegetable broth or almond milk. No flour or cornstarch is needed.
Onion and garlic - Fresh garlic and onion are best, but you can always substitute with garlic powder and minced dried onion.
My go-to in this butternut and red pepper soup!
Maple syrup - A little bit of this natural sweetener enhances the natural sweetness of the potatoes. Coconut sugar or honey (not vegan) are good substitutes.
Vegetable broth - Check to make sure you are purchasing a gluten-free broth if needed.
Ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper - Just the right amount of spice gives maximum flavor. Don't have cayenne powder? You can sub in red pepper flakes.
Before you start: Cook the potatoes and chop the onions.
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the diced onions and cook, then the garlic and cooked potatoes, followed by the maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
Stir to combine.
Step 2: Add the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
Step 3: Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
Step 4: Stir in almond milk and allow to heat for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Use frozen chopped sweet potatoes or canned puree to cut down on prep time.
- For a thinner soup consistency, add a little more almond milk until desired consistency is reached. Too much liquid will give it more of a broth texture.
Drizzle this easy soup recipe with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, hazelnuts, or pumpkin seeds.
- Large soup pot or Dutch oven
- Immersion blender (or stick blender) - If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender or food processor by carefully blending in batches.
Adding plant-based milk like full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk can add richness without the dairy.
Yes! Sweet potatoes are a type of root vegetable that is rich in nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are a great source of complex carbohydrates and are naturally free from animal products.
Not all soups are gluten-free, but this recipe for creamy vegan sweet potato soup is completely gluten-free as it does not use any gluten-containing ingredients.
More Soup Recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 medium sweet potatoes cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- ¼ cup raw hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup raw pistachios toasted and chopped
- drizzle of maple syrup or olive oil
- Prepare your sweet potatoes first. Pierce your sweet potatoes with a fork and cook on the appropriate potato setting for your microwave. You'll want the potatoes cooked soft enough for them to be easily mashed with a fork.While the potatoes are cooking, chop your onions and prep your other ingredients.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add your garlic and cook for 1 minute. Scoop out your cooked sweet potatoes and add them to the pot, followed by the maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer mixture to a blender, blend until smooth, and return to pot.
- Stir in almond milk and allow to heat for 1 to 2 more minutes. If you want a thinner consistency, just add a little more almond milk until desired consistency is reached.Serve hot and top with nuts, olive oil, or maple syrup if desired.
- Use frozen chopped sweet potatoes or canned sweet potato puree to cut down on prep time.