Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is gluten-free and ready in just 30 minutes. Made with minimal ingredients and warming spices for a spicy sweet soup.
It’s January, so bring on the soup!
If you’re new to this space, welcome. If you’ve been following along for awhile, thank you. My hope in 2019 is to bring you more simple meals that we make at home. Along with a plethora of healthy-ish gluten-free treats, of course.
Preparing meals for our little family of two, where I am gluten-free and currently dairy-free and my husband has no restrictions, can be tricky. I get the sense that this is probably true of most families where there are allergies and intolerances. It’s a group effort.
So, about this soup. I like to describe it as a giant hug. A warm, orange hug.
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- maple syrup
- vegetable broth
- ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper
- unsweetened almond milk
How Do You Make Creamy Sweet Potato Soup?
The starchiness of the cooked sweet potatoes naturally lends itself to making a creamy soup. But to ensure you have a thick and creamy sweet potato soup, you don’t want to add too much vegetable broth or almond milk. No flour or cornstarch needed.
This simple vegan sweet potato soup recipe can easily be adjusted to your preference. If you find the soup too thick for your liking, add more almond milk, little by little, until the consistency you want is achieved.
If you’re looking for more warming gluten-free recipes, check out Katie’s chicken coconut curry. Definitely hug-worthy!
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 medium sweet potatoes cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios toasted and chopped
- drizzle of maple syrup or olive oil
- Prepare your sweet potatoes first. Pierce your sweet potatoes with a fork and cook on the appropriate potato setting for your microwave. You'll want the potatoes cooked soft enough for them to be easily mashed with a fork.While the potatoes are cooking, chop your onions and prep your other ingredients.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add your garlic and cook for 1 minute. Scoop out your cooked sweet potatoes and add them to the pot, followed by the maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer mixture to a blender, blend until smooth, and return to pot.
- Stir in almond milk and allow to heat for 1 to 2 more minutes. If you want a thinner consistency, just add a little more almond milk until desired consistency is reached.Serve hot and top with nuts, olive oil, or maple syrup if desired.