This gluten-free Ground Chicken Stir Fry with Rice Noodles is a flavorful recipe that combines ground chicken, veggies, and a delicious stir fry sauce for a satisfying meal. Ready in just 30 minutes!
This healthy stir fry is perfect for a weeknight dinner and one the whole family will love. One of the best things is it is ready in just 30 minutes. Delicious and quick, you really can't beat that!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Perfect for busy weeknights
- Simple ingredients
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and simple steps in the recipe card below.
Ground chicken - Just one pound of ground chicken is the meat (literally) of this recipe. Feel free to sub in ground turkey or ground beef.
Bell peppers - A green and red bell pepper add color, texture, and a good dose of vitamin C!
Tamari - This is the base of our stir fry sauce which gives it a nice umami flavor. If you don't have or can't find tamari, there are some great gluten-free substitutes such as coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce.
Arrowroot starch - This helps thicken our sauce. Cornstarch is a great alternative if needed.
Toasted sesame oil - Toasted or regular, just a little oil gives our sauce a great flavor.
Almond butter - Adds flavor and creaminess to our gluten-free sauce.
Rice noodles - Sometimes packaged as stir fry rice noodles, pad Thai noodles, or rice vermicelli.
Always a good idea to check the ingredient label to ensure the brand does not have any gluten-containing ingredients.
Lime juice - Fresh lime juice is just the right acid needed in our sauce ingredients for a perfect balance.
Garlic and red pepper flakes - Fresh garlic and chili peppers flakes enhance the flavor and add a little heat.
Before you start: Get out all ingredients, a large skillet or large frying pan, and a medium saucepan.
Step 1: In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together tamari and arrowroot starch. Combine all sauce ingredients except the water. Set aside.
Step 2: Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Step 3: Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Step 4: Add the peppers to the skillet and cook until slightly softened about 5-7 minutes.
Step 5: Return the ground meat to the pan and add the sauce and water. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
Step 6: Add the noodles and toss to coat. Cook for a couple of minutes until warmed.
- Mixing the arrowroot starch with the tamari allows it to dissolve before being added to the other sauce ingredients.
- You can meal prep the stir fry sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Just don't add the almond butter to the prepared sauce until you are ready to make the ground chicken stir-fry.
- If you want to reduce the sodium in this gluten-free meal, low-sodium tamari or low-sodium soy sauce is a great option.
You can easily garnish this ground chicken recipe with a little black pepper, but here are some ideas for a great presentation:
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions or scallions
- Lime wedges
- Crushed peanuts, cashews, or slivered almonds
- Fresh basil
Yes! Tamari is produced by extracting the liquid from fermented soybean paste, known as miso. It is then fermented with water to produce the dark sauce.
Yes! Ground turkey would make a great substitute as would ground beef.
You can buy tamari at your local grocery store, health food store, Asian markets, or online retailers. It can usually be found in the Asian or international food section.
More recipes with noodles
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Ground Chicken Stir Fry with Rice Noodles
Stir Fry Sauce
- 4 oz rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or other neutral oil
- 1 lbs. (16oz) ground chicken
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari and arrowroot starch. Then add remaining stir fry sauce ingredients except the water. Stir to completely combine and set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While the water for the noodles is heating up, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula until it is cooked. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the peppers to the skillet and cook until slightly softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, give the sauce a good stir and pour it into the skillet. Add 4 tablespoons water and stir. Heat for 3-4 minutes then add the noodles.
- Add the noodles and toss to coat. Cook for a couple of minutes until warmed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.