These Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are an easy dinner recipe made with ground turkey, vegetables, and spices, for a flavorful and healthier take on the classic sandwich! Gluten-free and dairy-free.
What are Sloppy Joes? Traditionally, the Sloppy Joe is a sandwich made with ground beef or pork, ketchup or tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onions, spices, and served on a hamburger bun.
An easy weeknight meal, this Sloppy Joe recipe swaps in lean ground turkey, a ketchup-free sauce, and served on top of cooked sweet potatoes.
Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
Bake your sweet potatoes while you prepare the Sloppy Joe mixture. Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Ground turkey
- Green pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) or coconut aminos
- Apple cider vinegar
- Coconut sugar
- Ground mustard, chili powder, cayenne pepper
Can I use regular potatoes? Absolutely. Russet potatoes would work well in this recipe.
Can I substitute ground chicken, ground beef, or ground pork? You bet. This recipe is versatile if need be, plus you can add additional veggies if you like!
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
To make this a 30-minute meal, use the microwave to prepare your sweet potatoes.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave.
- Soften onions and peppers in a skillet.
- Add ground turkey and brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients to make sauce.
- Split the sweet potatoes open lengthwise and fluff.
- Top potatoes with turkey mixture.
You can never have too many recipes with ground turkey. This ground turkey rice and beans looks like a healthy and hearty meal.
Looking for more easy gluten-free dinner recipes? Check out these low carb Mexican stuffed peppers and the links below!
More Gluten-Free Meals
Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground mustard
- 2-3 pinches cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) or coconut aminos
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Wash, pat dry, and pierce your sweet potatoes several times with a fork. Place sweet potatoes on a microwave safe plate, choose the appropriate potato setting, and cook in the microwave (turning at the halfway point) for 12-14 minutes until tender. Alternatively, cook at regular microwave setting for 5-7 minutes, turning at the halfway point. Add additional 30-second increments until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, add olive oil to a 10-inch skillet and warm over medium heat. Add onions and green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies start to soften. Add the ground turkey and brown, breaking it up with a large wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once turkey has browned, add minced garlic, coconut sugar, chili powder, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, tamari, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a low boil and then remove from heat.
- Split the sweet potatoes lengthwise and fluff the insides with a fork. Top each potato with a generous serving of the Sloppy Joe mixture. Salt and pepper to taste if desired.