These sweet homemade Gluten-Free Strawberry Drop Biscuits are made with cassava flour and tapioca starch for a completely grain-free recipe. Topped with a simple glaze, they are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert! Vegan, dairy-free, egg-free.
Strawberry season means spring, warmer weather, and all the berries!
In this recipe, strawberries and biscuits collide to create a buttery, sweet breakfast treat.
Strawberry Biscuits Ingredients
While savory biscuits may get all the love, a little sweetness adds some magic. To keep the number of flours used in this gluten-free vegan biscuit recipe to a minimum, cassava flour and tapioca starch work beautifully together.
Not only are they simple, but these gluten-free drop biscuits are also made completely grain-free. Here are the major ingredients you'll need for the biscuits:
- Cassava flour
- Tapioca starch
- Organic cane sugar
- Baking powder
- Coconut milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegan butter
- Fresh strawberries
There is also an optional glaze to drizzle on top. Perfect on their own but even better with this little extra! For the glaze you will need:
- Organic powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut milk
How to Make Strawberry Biscuits
What are drop biscuits? Drop biscuits are made by dropping dough from a spoon as opposed to rolling out the dough. Drop biscuit dough also usually contains more liquid than traditional rolled biscuits. Their shape is more irregular and craggy.
While this strawberry biscuit recipe is not made by dropping dough from a spoon, the dough is not rolled either. Shaped with your hands, there are still cracks and crevices after baking. Perfect for soaking up a little glaze!
Ready to get baking? Here are the steps to making strawberry biscuits with glaze:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix and set aside the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Work small pieces of vegan butter into the flour mixture.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Add the coconut milk and water.
- Stir mixture until shaggy dough forms.
- Scoop biscuit dough and shape into a disc with your hands.
- Place discs onto a prepared baking sheet and brush with extra coconut milk.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until biscuits are golden.
- Allow strawberry biscuits to cool and top with glaze, if desired.
More Gluten-Free Strawberry Recipes
Gluten-Free Strawberry Drop Biscuits
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk plus more for brushing
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (170g) cassava flour
- ¼ cup (25g) tapioca starch
- ¼ cup (50g) organic cane sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter cut into pieces
- 4 medium strawberries cut into ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a liquid measuring cup, combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cassava flour, tapioca starch, organic cane sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add small pieces of vegan butter to the bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
- Add the diced strawberries and combine. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add coconut milk mixture and water. Using a spatula, gently stir and fold ingredients until dough is evenly damp. Dough will appear shaggy and should come together when squeezed with your hand. If needed, add 1 to 2 teaspoons water.
- Scoop ¼ cup of dough and shape into a circular disc. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Space biscuits at least 1 ½ inches apart. Brush tops with coconut milk.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden. Remove from oven and allow biscuits to cool on pan.
- While the biscuits are cooling, mix the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. If you want a thinner glaze, add a little extra coconut milk. For a thicker glaze, add additional powdered sugar.Drizzle glaze on top of biscuits and serve.
- Strawberry biscuits are best right after they are made. Biscuits will soften over time.