This Homemade Vegan Eggnog is an easy, healthier version of the holiday drink. Made in a blender with almond milk, coconut cream, dates, maple syrup, and spices, enjoy it with or without alcohol.
‘Tis the season for eggnog!
Finding a good dairy-free and egg-free nog isn’t always the easiest. Store-bought brands have come a long way, but you just can’t beat the homemade version. Especially when that homemade version is better for you.
What is eggnog?
Traditionally, eggnog is made from cream, milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and spices. Often mixed with bourbon, rum, cognac, or brandy, eggnog makes for a festive holiday cocktail.
Making an alternative version that replicates the rich, creamy, and frothy drink is possible. Plus, healthier ingredients make this vegan eggnog a win-win.
Homemade Vegan Eggnog Ingredients
So, no cream, milk, or eggs? Yes. This vegan eggnog swaps out refined sugar for maple syrup and dates. Here’s the major ingredients you’ll need:
- Medjool dates
- Unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- Maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- Bourbon, rum, or brandy (optional)
Making Vegan Eggnog
Grab the blender because this holiday drink will whip up in an instant. With just a few steps, you’ll be ready to clink glasses!
- Soak the dates for 5 minutes.
- Add dates and remaining ingredients (except alcohol) to blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into glasses, sprinkle with nutmeg, and serve!
Want more holiday drink inspiration? Check out this keto hot chocolate mix or the recipes below!
More Easy Cocktails
Homemade Vegan Eggnog
- 4 Medjool dates, halved and pitted
- 2 13.5 oz cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight (or 2 3/4 cups coconut cream)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ground nutmeg for serving
- 1/2 to 1 ounce per serving bourbon rum, or cognac
- cinnamon sticks for serving optional
- Place your dates in a blender and cover them with hot water. Allow dates to soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain and return dates to blender.
- Scoop only the solid white coconut milk from the cans and add to blender. This should be about 2 3/4 cups. Then add almond milk, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Blend on high until smooth and dates are incorporated.
- Add a 1/2 to 1 ounce bourbon, rum, or cognac to each serving glass. Pour eggnog in glasses and serve immediately. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish, if desired. For non-alcoholic drinks, omit the alcohol.
- Store any leftover vegan eggnog in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Natural separation will occur, so stir to re-incorporate before serving.