No-Bake Chocolate Bird Nests made with puffed rice cereal and dairy-free chocolate are perfect for spring celebrations. Substitute in almond butter to make peanut-free. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
Do you know all those Pinterest-perfect holiday desserts that have a million steps and ingredients?
While I love looking at them, I rarely have the energy to try one out.
Today I've got a springtime dessert that not only is simple but ends up being pretty dang cute too.
There are all kinds of bird nest recipes out there. Some use pretzels, others use chow mein noodles and some coconut.
Easy no-bake desserts and definitely the way to go. See below for more on the simple ingredients needed!
No-Bake Chocolate Birds Nest Ingredients
Using puffed rice cereal, chocolate, and peanut butter, plus some optional add-ins, no-bake cookie nests are easily attainable.
Here's what you'll need:
- puffed rice cereal (or puffed and crispy rice cereal)
- peanut butter
- dairy-free chocolate chips
- slivered almonds (optional)
- shredded coconut (optional)
- dairy-free chocolate gems or almonds
The base of these gluten-free chocolate bird nests are puffed rice cereal. You can also use a combination of half puffed and half crispy rice cereal (making sure it's gluten-free), to give it a nice crunch and texture.
Erewhon makes a great puffed and crispy brown rice cereal that works well here too.
Add in slivered almonds and shredded coconut if you so desire to amp up crunch and flavor. But if one or both of those ingredients aren't your thing, leave them out.
For finishing touches, use dairy-free chocolate gems for your nest eggs. Or, Marcona almonds, regular almonds, or slivered almonds make great nest egg decorations as well.
Serve them at spring celebrations, baby showers, or other festive events. While this is a no-bake recipe, it still requires time in the refrigerator. Plan ahead and you'll have an easy chocolate treat ready to go.
More Chocolate Recipes
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bird Nests
- dairy-free chocolate gems
- slivered or regular almonds
- marcona almonds
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium microwaveable bowl and heat in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each until almost all chocolate is melted. Stir chocolate until remainder is melted.
- Stir peanut butter and salt into chocolate until completely incorporated. Add rice cereal, coconut, and slivered almonds. Stir and fold until all ingredients are completely coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Divide mixture amongst the 12 muffin cups. Using your finger, press down in center of each to form an indentation. Place 3 chocolate gems or almonds in the center.
- Place muffin pan in refrigerator and allow to chill and set for at least 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Serve bird nests in paper liners or remove liners and serve. Store in an airtight container.