These Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Stuffed Dates topped with sea salt are gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free. Perfect for a snack or dessert!
Dates are pretty magical. Transformative as a natural sweetener and in raw baked goods like no-bake coconut cream pie and these easy chocolate energy date balls, they add not only sweetness but binding power.
But in their simpler form, they can really steal the show.
My family's holiday tradition of sugared stuffed dates with walnuts was my first introduction to stuffed dates, and the possibilities are endless.
In this recipe, the combination of almond butter, dates, and chocolate takes on a caramel-like flavor.
Using a mixture of cocoa powder, coconut oil, and maple syrup results in a chocolate sauce without refined sugar.
So, grab those dates and make yourself some healthier salted chocolate caramels.
And, if you need some more chocolate inspiration before your weekend gets started, I've been eyeing Meg's gluten-free olive oil brownies!
Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Stuffed Dates
- 16 Medjool dates pitted
- 6 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- sea salt
- Slice your dates lengthwise to remove pits. Prepare a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill each date with about a teaspoon of almond butter. Place on baking sheet and place in freezer for 15 minutes to firm.
- While the dates are in freezer, add coconut oil to small saucepan over low heat and allow to melt. Whisk in cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pinch of sea salt. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes until chocolate evenly incorporates and starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove chocolate from heat and place in a small bowl. Allow chocolate to cool before removing dates from freezer and starting to dip.
- Using a fork or skewer, pierce dates and dip each date until covered. Transfer to baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Continue until each date is covered. Place baking sheet in the refrigerator until chocolate has firmed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.