This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe has all the flavor and creaminess and none of the dairy! Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free.
This isn't your condensed cream of mushroom soup from a can.
This homemade vegan cream of mushroom soup is flavorful, comforting, and creamy. And it is made with ingredients you can feel good about.
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
You won't find any wheat flour, modified milk ingredients, or MSG here. This healthy mushroom soup keeps things simple.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Dried thyme and onion powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable broth
- Full fat coconut milk
- White rice flour
- Olive oil
Is cream of mushroom soup gluten-free? Not only is this a dairy-free mushroom soup recipe, it's one that is completely gluten-free.
This recipe utitlizes naturally gluten-free white rice flour instead of all-purpose flour that acts as a thickening agent.
The beauty of using rice flour to thicken soups and sauces, is that you can sprinkle them directly onto the liquid you want thicken. No slurries necessary.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Soup
Soup from a can provides ease, but this soup recipe also takes minimal effort. Here are the steps for making your own dairy-free mushroom soup!
1. Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
2. Add minced garlic and cook for one minute.
3. Put in the sliced mushrooms, herbs, and spices and cook until softened.
4. Pour in the apple cider vinegar, followed by the vegetable broth and coconut milk.
5. Sprinkle the rice flour over the mixture and stir until dissolved.
6. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Use an immersion blender and puree half of the soup.
8. Serve warm.
Want this soup to come together even more quickly? Here are a couple things you can do:
- Buy sliced mushrooms to cut down on prep time
- Use prepared minced garlic instead of mincing your own
- Blend with an immersion blender instead of a blender
More Soup Recipes
Want more vegetarian soup inspiration? Check out this easy instant pot red lentil soup and the recipes below!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- Warm the olive oil over low heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add minced garlic and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Put in the sliced mushrooms, dried thyme, onion powder, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat. Cook until mushrooms have softened and reduced, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar and stir mixture, followed by the vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Sprinkle the rice flour (don't pour) over the mixture and stir until dissolved. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and puree half of the soup. If you don't want any full mushroom slices remaining, blend soup until smooth. Don't have an immersion blender? Carefully blend hot soup in batches in a high speed blender, ensuring lid is secured.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve warm.