Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Arugula and Millet combines with chickpeas, cranberries, and pecans for a flavorful vegetarian dish. Serve warm as a side or a main. Gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
Roasted sweet potatoes will change your salad game.
I have found that not only are sweet potatoes super nutritious, but they are a wonderfully versatile vegetable for the fall and winter seasons.
They make baked good amazingly moist and flavorful (hello sweet potato bread and sweet potato brownies!). But they also steal the show in more savory recipes like this creamy sweet potato soup and this fried quinoa skillet.
So let's talk about sweet potatoes in salad.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients
This harvest salad keeps things simple and uses several pantry items. If millet is not yet part of your gluten-free pantry, now's the time to add it. Like quinoa, millet cooks up easily and adds some heartiness to the dish.
Here's the major players you'll need for the salad:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Yellow Onion
- Raw Millet
- Dried Cranberries
- Raw Pecans
The dressing for this vegan sweet potato salad ties everything together and give it a little zip! Here's the ingredients you'll need:
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Chili Powder
You can serve this fall salad cold but I really recommend that you serve it warm. Toss in the arugula right before serving so nothing gets soggy, and you'll have a healthy Thanksgiving salad.
If you are a fan of warm salads, you'll also love this butternut squash salad.
More Recipes with Sweet Potatoes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Arugula and Millet
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2-3)
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup raw millet
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread cubed sweet potatoes and sliced onion on baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Then sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt. Toss to coat. Bake on the middle rack of oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes and onions are in oven, add a ½ cup of millet to a dry, medium saucepan. Toast the milet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until millet starts to turn a golden brown.
- Add 1 cup of water to the saucepan. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Bring water to a boil, then decrease heat to low and cover the saucepan. Add cranberries to saucepan. This allows cranberries to plump up.
- Allow millet to simmer for about 15 minutes, stir, then remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once millet has fully absorbed the water, fluff the millet and transfer to a large bowl. Add roasted sweet potatoes and onions, pecans, and garbanzo beans. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Stir well.
- When ready to serve, add arugula to mixture. Pour dressing over salad and toss to evenly integrate ingredients. Salt to taste and serve.