Fresh Cherry Crumble made with sliced almonds, almond flour, and sweetened with coconut sugar. Serve with ice cream! Gluten-free and vegan.
There is something magical about baked fruit.
Summer's seasonal bounty seems to lend itself to the type of baked desserts that go absolutely best with a little vanilla ice cream.
Comfort food, summer edition.
Gluten-Free Cherry Crumble Ingredients
Fresh cherries are the star of the show here. And it's amazing what a little coconut sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla can do to enhance things. Here are the major ingredients you'll need for this grain-free cherry crumble:
- Almond flour
- Sliced almonds
- Arrowroot starch
- Coconut sugar
- Fresh cherries
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
Making a Healthier Cherry Crumble
The first thing you'll do is pit your cherries. Don't have a cherry pitter? See these tips for doing it without one. Next you will combine the cherries with a little lemon juice, arrowroot starch, and coconut sugar.
Don't have arrowroot starch? Cornstarch subs in here perfectly. It just won't be a completely grain-free recipe anymore, if that's what you're after.
The cherry mixture will bake for 15 minutes on its own. This will give you just the time you need to whip up the crumble topping.
Many crumble recipes use oats. For keeping things simple and grain-free, sliced almonds are used here instead.
Mixed with almond flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, coconut oil, and vanilla, the crumble ingredients go on top of the baked cherries and back in the oven for a short time.
Once golden, allow the fresh cherry crumble to cool for about 20 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream.
More Summer Fruit Recipes
Fresh Cherry Crumble
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, lemon juice, arrowroot starch, ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes on lower rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot starch, sliced almonds, salt, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and moisten ingredients, then use your hands to squeeze crumble ingredients together.
- Once the cherries have baked for 15 minutes, remove from oven. Squeeze handfuls of crumble mixture and place atop the cherries in an even layer (being careful because dish is hot). Use oven mitts to place dish back in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 8-12 minutes until browned, careful not to burn. Allow crumble to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.