This easy Spinach Tofu Quiche is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner! A delicious savory tart made gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
It might be hard to imagine an eggless quiche. There is something so deliciously satisfying about the rich eggy tart most often held in a buttery crust.
If you are trying to avoid eggs, have an allergy to eggs, or generally just aren't a big fan, this vegan spinach quiche is the alternative you need.
So, let there be quiche!
Ingredients for a Vegan Spinach Quiche
As with some substitutes and replacements in recipes, it can feel more complicated than the original recipe. For this eggless quiche, tofu is swapped for eggs and whipped to creamy status in the blender.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Almond flour
- Oat flour
- Olive oil
- Organic cane sugar
- Firm tofu
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Minced garlic
- Nutritional yeast, ground mustard, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper
- Fresh spinach
How to Make Tofu Quiche
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a tart pan with cooking spray.
- Combine almond flour, oat flour, cane sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil and water and stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer crust dough to prepared pan, spreading in an even layer and halfway up the sides of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then allow to cool.
- Add tofu, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and spices to a blender.
- Blend mixture until creamy. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat and add onions. Cook until soft.
- Add garlic followed by spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour tofu mixture into saucepan and fold in all ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to prepared crust and bake for 34-38 minutes.
Notes on Making a Quiche without Eggs
A few things to note when making this recipe:
- Firm or extra firm tofu are best
- The crust can be made ahead of time
- Allow the quiche to cool slightly before slicing
- To ensure this is gluten-free, make sure the oat flour is certified as gluten-free
Tofu can be used in so many ways! Check out this how to on grilled tofu.
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
Spinach Tofu Quiche
- 14 oz firm tofu excess water squeezed out and patted dry
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice half of a lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray.
- Start with making the crust. Combine almond flour, oat flour, cane sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil and water and stir until a dough forms. The dough should stay together when squeezed with your hands. If the dough seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time. If it seems too wet, add a little extra oat flour.
- Transfer crust dough to prepared pan, pressing into an even layer and halfway up the sides of pan. Make sure sides are evenly pressed.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then allow to cool. Set aside.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands as you add it to a blender. Then add almond milk, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, ground mustard, turmeric, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Due to the small amount of liquid, stop blender and scrape down sides as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic followed by spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted.
- Pour tofu mixture into the saucepan with the spinach mixture and fold in all ingredients.
- Transfer spinach tofu mixture to the prepared crust (Filling should be even with sides of crust, do not overfill). Bake for 34-38 minutes. The quiche filling should be set and a tester should only have a few crumbs.
- Allow quiche to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Season with additional salt and pepper and/or hot sauce as desired.