These Gluten Free Cheez Its are inspired by the favorite cheesy snack cracker! Made with oat flour, white rice flour, vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and spices. You can make your own homemade dairy-free cheese crackers!
There are certain snacks you just can't replicate. But it is so worth getting as close as possible.
If you've gone without gluten or dairy for some time now, Cheez-its crackers are definitely out. So, can you have a gluten-free cheese cracker that is also vegan?
And it is the star of the show in this recipe.
Gluten-Free Vegan Cheese Crackers Ingredients
There is something therapeutic about making your own crackers.
Roll the dough, slice the squares, and add a little sprinkle of salt on top. Methodical and satisfying. Even more satisfying once you eat them!
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Gluten-free oat flour
- White rice flour
- Vegan butter
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper
- Lemon juice
- Organic cane sugar
- Sea salt
How to Make Gluten-Free Cheez-its
Grab your food processor and rolling pin. Time to make dairy-free cheese crackers!
- Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add slices of vegan butter and process until there is a clumpy meal consistency.
- Pour tablespoons of ice water into the food processor.
- Process until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Transfer dough to an oat-floured piece of parchment paper.
- Place an additional piece of parchment on top and roll out to 1/16 inch.
- Use a pizza slicer and cut 1-inch squares.
- Transfer squares to a prepared baking pan.
- Re-roll dough scraps and repeat steps until all is used.
- Brush melted vegan butter on tops of all squares. Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow crackers to cool on pan.
Tips for Making Homemade Cheese Crackers
To make this process go smoothly, here are a few tips to consider:
- Prepare the baking pan, food processor, and rolling surface before starting.
- Aim for a 1/16 inch when rolling dough for a crispier cracker. A ⅛ of an inch for a softer cracker. Or somewhere in between!
- Using a piece of parchment under and on top of the dough when rolling it out helps it from sticking to the rolling pin.
- For a classic Cheez-its look, poke a hole in the middle of each cracker prior to baking.
More Gluten-Free Snack Recipes
Gluten-Free Vegan Cheese Crackers
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- ¾ cup (80g) gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup (80g) white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon organic cane sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt for sprinkling
- Place a few ice cubes in a small bowl and fill with water (6 tablespoons worth at least). This will get your water nice and cold. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place an additional piece of parchment (about 12x16) on a cutting board or pastry board. Sprinkle some oat flour on top.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place oat flour, white rice flour, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground turmeric, cane sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, and baking powder. Pulse a few times until the ingredients are incorporated. Take 4 tablespoons of vegan butter and slice small pieces into food processor. Reserve remaining tablespoon of butter. Pulse until mixture becomes a course, clumpy meal. Add 6 tablespoons of cold water and lemon juice. Pulse until mixture comes together.
- Turn dough out onto floured parchment paper. Dough will be sticky. Sprinkle a little extra oat flour over dough. Work it in with your hands and dough will become smoother and less sticky.
- Press dough down into a rectangle. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and roll dough into a large rectangle. It should be about 1/16" thick. If it is thicker, you will have softer crackers.
- Using a pizza wheel, slice off the uneven ends of rectangle. Score dough into 1-inch squares. Gently transfer squares to prepared baking sheet. Prick the center of each square with chopstick, skewer or tip of knife (if desired) to get classic Cheez-it look.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Brush on tops of squares. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Makes about 70 crackers. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.