A spicy Vegan Cheesy Black Bean Dip made with cashews, spices, and jalapeños. An easy plant-based appetizer for sharing! Gluten-free, too.
Hot, spicy, cheesy.
Intrigued? There's more.
This easy dip recipe replicates that baked bean and queso combination in such an addictive way. With the Super Bowl looming and visions of snacks dancing in my head, the desire for cheesy goodness has been at an all time high as of late.
So, grab some chips and prepare to dip.
Cheesy Black Bean Dip Ingredients
Sometimes when you hear the word "vegan cheese," the fear that a bunch of strange ingredients are to follow. This is not the case here. Here's the major players you'll need:
- Canned black beans
- Minced garlic
- Yellow onion
- Tomato paste
- Raw cashews
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper
Making Easy Black Bean Dip
There are two major components to this gluten-free bean dip. The beans, veggies, and spices, and then the cashew cheese sauce.
To make for the most smooth and creamy cheese sauce, you'll need to soak your cashews in hot water for at least 5 minutes. While your cashews are soaking, you can prep your onions and jalapenos. Then, complete your cheese sauce by adding its other ingredients and blending until smooth.
Add your veggies, garlic, beans, and spices to the skillet. Then pour in your dairy-free cheese sauce, stir, and pop it in the oven.
What emerges is a hot and almost bubbly black bean cheese dip that you'll want to dig into immediately. For the Super Bowl, an appetizer, or just something comforting to snack on at movie night, this simple black bean dip is a must.
Love a good bean dip? Then you should also check out Michelle's Instant Pot rice and beans!
More Gluten-Free Appetizers
Vegan Cheesy Black Bean Dip
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup water
Black Bean Dip
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños, thinly sliced (seeded for less heat)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2-14 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ½ cup hot water
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Place the cashews in a blender and cover with hot water. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. Drain the cashews and return to blender. Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and ¾ cup water.
- Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Black Bean Dip
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 10-inch cast iron or oven-proof skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the jalapeños and garlic and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, black beans, cumin, paprika, cayenne (if using), and ½ cup hot water. Add a couple healthy pinches salt and pepper, or more to taste. Pour the cashew cheese sauce over the bean mixture and stir gently to incorporate.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes. The top of the dip should start to turn golden. Serve immediately with chips or tortillas and hot sauce, if desired.