This Salsa Verde Quinoa Chili is a delicious one-pot vegetarian meal loaded with white beans, potatoes, quinoa, and tomatoes. Serve with all your favorite toppings. Gluten-free.
Holy moly where did January go?
While we are still waiting on a big snowfall and the days are decidedly longer, I'm content on these cold winter days to stay inside, cook, and enjoy the quiet.
One-pot stovetop meals included. Every year when my sister is in town and we celebrate the holidays with my dad, I always make a big pot of white chicken chili.
After our annual batch this year, I was inspired to make a vegetarian chili version.
I wanted a version that didn't lack heartiness. Nor did I want it to lack flavor.
I think you'll find neither category disappoints. Adding quinoa or similar grains, give this chili staying power.
I used a favorite tomatillo salsa that we buy here, and it packs some heat. Use a green salsa that fits heat preference.
If you're not serving a crowd, this salsa verde quinoa chili also makes great leftovers. You might find that you need to add a bit more liquid when reheating.
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Salsa Verde Quinoa Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8-10 baby potatoes, halved and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz green salsa
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 30 oz white beans, drained and rinsed 2 cans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheese
- chopped or sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeno
- corn tortilla chips
- In a 4-qt saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and potatoes, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent and potatoes start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, followed by the cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Add green salsa and tomatoes. Stir. Add the vegetable stock and quinoa, stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, add beans, and cover. Simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir to evenly combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with toppings of choice.