This Salsa Verde Quinoa Chili is a delicious one-pot vegetarian meal loaded with white beans, potatoes, quinoa, and tomatoes. Serve with all your favorite toppings. Gluten-free.
Holy moly where did January go?
While we are still waiting on a big snowfall and the days are decidedly longer, I'm content on these cold winter days to stay inside, cook, and enjoy the quiet.
One-pot stovetop meals included. Every year when my sister is in town and we celebrate the holidays with my dad, I always make a big pot of white chicken chili.
After our annual batch this year, I was inspired to make a vegetarian chili version.
I wanted a version that didn't lack heartiness. Nor did I want it to lack flavor. I think you'll find neither category disappoints.
I used a favorite tomatillo salsa that we buy here, and it packs some heat. Use a green salsa that fits heat preference.
If you're not serving a crowd, this salsa verde quinoa chili also makes great leftovers. You might find that you need to add a bit more liquid when reheating.
We love pairing this chili with some baked polenta fries. A great alternative to cornbread!
Salsa verde shines in so many kinds of dishes. This salsa verde chicken is a great weeknight meal. And salsa verde amps up this easy chilaquiles recipe.
In the mood for more chili? Check out Alyssa's butternut squash chili! Or, if you have avocado on the brain, this bacon avocado soup recipe looks delicious.
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Salsa Verde Quinoa Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8-10 baby potatoes, halved and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz green salsa
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 30 oz white beans, drained and rinsed 2 cans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheese
- chopped or sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeno
- corn tortilla chips
- In a 4-qt saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and potatoes, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent and potatoes start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, followed by the cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Add green salsa and tomatoes. Stir. Add the vegetable stock and quinoa, stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, add beans, and cover. Simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir to evenly combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with toppings of choice.
I love this chili! I have been making it regularly for a couple of years and it’s always been on of the favorites in our house!
Thank you, Melanie! I'm so glad!
My favorite fall soups! I sometimes add ground turkey or chicken for added protein. My entire family loves it!
Yay! Thank you!!
Traci | Vanilla And Bean
Yayayay!! I'm all in with your quinoa chili, Tessa! Hello flavah and easy! I"m totally loving winter... I know so many don't like it, but I gotta say, the quiet, stillness and slower pace is comforting - as is all the comfort food - hello chili!! Delicious work my dear - I'm smitten! ANDdddd and I just remembered.. I've got some Verde Salsa in the freezer from summer preserving - omgeee... this is happening soon! xo
What’s your favorite brand of salsa verde to use?? I️ usually grab one at Trader Joe’s but would love to know what you use!
Hi Emily! I like the Trader Joe's salsa too, but my current favorite is the Tomatillo Salsa from Sprouts (Sprouts brand). They also have a Jalapeno Verde Salsa (Sprouts brand also) that we like, but it is pretty spicy! :)
When do you add the green salsa?
Thank you for the recipes.
Add the salsa in right after the spices. Thank you for the catch! Have a good weekend!
Kelsey @ Appeasing a Food Geek
Loving the vibe of this! That avocado is a perfect topping with the salsa verde. Cannot wait to try! xo
The avocado really does go perfectly. Cool and creamy in that spicy green chili! <3