Indulge guilt-free with our homemade Vegan Nutella recipe—a healthier, dairy-free chocolate hazelnut spread. Enjoy the creamy, chocolatey goodness without compromising your dietary preferences.
Nutella is a magically delicious spread. What's not so magical is the amount of sugar and palm oil the store-bought traditional Nutella contains.
Is Nutella vegan? The favorite spread also includes dairy and is not vegan.
But don't fret, we are sharing a dairy-free Nutella alternative that is easy to make at home!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Healthier than store-bought Nutella
- Simple ingredients
- Creamy spread that goes with so many things!
- Great for those on a plant-based diet
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
With only 5 ingredients, rich nutty butter can be yours. Here are the major ingredients you'll need for a healthy spread:
Raw hazelnuts - In order to bring out the flavor, these raw hazelnuts will be baked in the oven briefly to become roasted hazelnuts, and the natural oils will help turn them into a smooth butter. Plus, these nuts are packed with dietary fiber, vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, and high amounts of flavanoids, and other minerals.
Unsweetened cocoa powder - I used Dutch-processed cocoa powder, but natural cocoa powder (or cacao powder) will substitute well. Cacao powder will just have a more intense cocoa flavor.
Vanilla extract - Vanilla complements the chocolate and hazelnut and helps enhance sweetness without added sugar.
Unsweetened almond milk - Instead of dairy milk or skim milk powder, this plant-based milk adds richness. Coconut milk or other dairy-free milk alternatives will work as well.
Before you start: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 1: Spread nuts into a single layer on baking and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Rub the skins off with a kitchen towel.
Step 3: Transfer hazelnuts to the bowl of a food processor. Process until nuts start to become a creamy consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor.
Step 4: Blend until smooth and creamy.
An airtight jar or container is the best way to store your nut-based spread. Keep the jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Before each use, stir with a knife to reintegrate the spread. This homemade Nutella will thicken a bit after refrigeration.
Like many homemade nut butters, this vegan spread is just the thing to accompany breakfast items, snacks, or desserts. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate that nutty flavor of Nutella!
- Spread it on toast (with a sprinkle of sea salt)
- Dip with fruit
- Use as a pancake or waffle topping
- Mix into smoothies
- Stuff it in gluten free crepes
- Bake with it: incorporate it into cookies, brownies, or muffins
- Enjoy it with pretzels or crackers or graham crackers
- Make Nutella hot chocolate!
- Use to fill pastries
With much less sugar than the original Nutella as well as the omission of vegetable oils, whey powder, and synthetic vanillin, this homemade Nutella recipe uses whole ingredients making it a healthier option.
Yes! This homemade chocolate hazelnut spread should be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Absolutely! All you need is five ingredients; hazelnuts, cocoa powder, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and a food processor.
More hazelnut dessert recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread hazelnuts in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer hazelnuts to a clean kitchen towel. Using the towel, rub the hazelnuts together to remove as much of the skins as possible. Once complete, place hazelnuts in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process hazelnuts, stopping occasionally to wipe down sides, until it goes from crumbly to a creamier consistency. Once hazelnuts start to turn into butter, add the remaining ingredients. Process until chocolate hazelnut butter is completely smooth.
- Store chocolate hazelnut spread in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. The spread will thicken as it chills. Before using, stir to reintegrate. Chocolate hazelnut spread can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.