This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is made with cocoa powder, roasted nuts, almond milk, and sweetened with maple syrup. A healthy Nutella recipe!
Nutella is a magically delicious spread.
What's not so magical is the amount of sugar and palm oil the store-bought version contains.
In addition, the favorite spread also includes dairy. Here we are sharing a dairy-free Nutella alternative that is easy to make at home!
Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread Ingredients
With only 5 ingredients, rich chocolate hazelnut butter can be yours. Here are the major ingredients you'll need for a healthy spread:
- Raw hazelnuts
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened almond milk
What if I don't have maple syrup? To substitute maple syrup in this recipe, agave syrup can be used as a vegan alternative. If you are not concerned about making this vegan, honey also works well.
Start with a little less of either than called for in the recipe and add more to taste.
How to Make Healthy Nutella
Like many nut butters, this chocolate hazelnut butter recipe is just the thing to accompany breakfast items, snacks, or even dessert. So, here are the simple steps for making your own.
- Roast your hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Rub the skins off with a kitchen towel.
- Transfer hazelnuts to the bowl of food processor.
- Process until nuts start to become a creamy consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients to the food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
Storing Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
An airtight jar or container is the best way to store your chocolate hazelnut spread. Keep the jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Before each use, stir with a knife to reintegrate the spread. This homemade Nutella will thicken a bit after first refrigerated.
More Hazelnut Dessert Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread hazelnuts in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer hazelnuts to a clean kitchen towel. Using the towel, rub the hazelnuts together to remove as much of the skins as possible. Once complete, place hazelnuts in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process hazelnuts, stopping occasionally to wipe down sides, until it goes from crumbly to a creamier consistency. Once hazelnuts start to turn into butter, add the remaining ingredients. Process until chocolate hazelnut butter is completely smooth.
- Store chocolate hazelnut spread in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. The spread will thicken as it chills. Before using, stir to reintegrate. Chocolate hazelnut spread can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.