These soft and chewy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodles are made with almond flour, tapioca starch, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice! Dairy-free and egg-free.
Pumpkin meets snickerdoodle and it’s a match!
Snickerdoodle fans will definitely want to try this fall rendition of the classic cookie. Almond flour and tapioca starch combine to make a soft and chewy cookie. Plus, it’s grain-free, dairy-free, and egg-free!
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Ingredients
The dough for these cookies comes together easily. So, first, whip up the cookie dough. It will be a bit sticky and that’s okay. Then, roll in cinnamon sugar. No chilling required!
After that, bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be puffed and golden on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
Here’s the major ingredients you’ll need:
- Almond flour
- Tapioca starch
- Maple syrup
- Organic cane sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Ground flaxseed
- Cream of tartar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
Making a snickerdoodle a pumpkin snickerdoodle
In addition to the telltale cinnamon sugar coating, snickerdoodles have a signature tangy flavor. This is achieved by the combination of cream of tartar and baking soda. As a result, the cookie is leavened and the flavor is enhanced. Baking chemistry at its best.
This recipe has all those components in place. But to elevate these to gluten-free pumpkin snickerdoodles status, you’ll need two special ingredients. That’s where pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice come in.
In this recipe, pumpkin puree stands in for any oil needed. It also helps bind the cookie along with the tapioca starch and flaxseed egg. A vegan and gluten-free pumpkin snickerdoodle is possible!
The pumpkin pie spices of ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon intensify the flavor. Most importantly, though, they meld perfectly with the cinnamon sugar coating.
So, the effect? Your kitchen will fill with smells of sweetness and spices. Eat these cookies within a couple days of baking for the best texture.
So, want more pumpkin treats? Check out these flourless pumpkin bars from Detoxinista or the recipes below!
More Gluten-Free Pumpkin Recipes
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup (112g) organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine ground flaxseed and the 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside for 3-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine organic cane sugar and maple syrup, followed by pumpkin puree. Whisk to combine. Then add the flax egg, followed by vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add almond flour, tapioca starch, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated and dough has formed. Dough will be sticky.
- Place the 1/4 cup organic cane sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon for the coating on a plate or low bowl. Use a fork to combine. The dough will be sticky, so lightly dampen your hands with water, and use a tablespoon to scoop out dough. Roll dough in-between your hands into a ball. Place on plate with cinnamon sugar, roll to coat, then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Press dough balls halfway down to slightly flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are set on the outside. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.