This easy Dairy-Free Sour Cream recipe is a delicious plant-based option to use in a variety of recipes. Make your own sour cream in just minutes!
Dairy-free sour cream is not always easy to find at your local grocery store. While there are some great vegan alternatives and dairy-free options on the market, not having them always easily accessible can be frustrating.
This homemade vegan recipe is so easy and uses plant-based ingredients you probably already have in your pantry! It's the perfect dairy-free condiment.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Great tangy flavor
- Use in your favorite recipes
- No gums or fillers
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Coconut milk - When refrigerated overnight, full-fat coconut milk separates and the result is solid coconut cream. To make things even faster, you can also use prepared unsweetened coconut cream in a can.
Lemon juice - The natural acid in fresh lemon juice helps create the "sour" taste.
Apple cider vinegar - As with lemon, apple cider vinegar is also an acid that helps us achieve the traditional taste, but has a slightly different flavor profile than lemon.
Nutritional yeast - A little bit of this goes a long way. The yellow flakes made from inactive yeast add a cheesy, nutty flavor that helps round things out.
Salt - Don't forget the salt! It will tie all that great taste together.
Before you start: Get out all your ingredients, this will go fast!
Step 1: Open the chilled can of coconut milk and carefully scoop out the solid part that has risen to the top, leaving behind the liquid. Place the solids in a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt to the bowl. Beat the ingredients together with a hand mixer until well combined and creamy.
You can also use a blender or food processor for this step. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow it to thicken and chill.
Store the vegan sour cream in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Since the base of this is made up of coconut milk, it will thicken when chilled. Allow the refrigerated cream to soften at room temperature for about 5 minutes before use.
- If the thick consistency is too much for your liking or recipe, add a little non-dairy milk like almond milk or coconut and cashew milk to thin it out.
- This recipe is easily made with an electric mixer, but it's also super easy to whip up in a high-speed blender.
With its creamy texture and natural flavor, there are so many amazing recipes and ways to use this dairy-free condiment. It's a great substitute for anything calling for the cow's milk version and is just as good as the real thing!
Dips and dressings
Soups and stews
Traditional sour cream is made from dairy products, specifically cream fermented with lactic acid bacteria. As such, it is not suitable for a vegan diet, as the ingredients are derived from animal products. A non-dairy version is a great option for those on a vegan diet.
Homemade dairy-free sour cream can be made from gluten-free ingredients. When purchasing store-bought options, it is important to check the ingredient label and allergen statements.
The ingredients in non-dairy options can differ, but this dairy-free recipe utilizes coconut milk, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt.
Recipes to use with sour cream
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 1 can (14 oz) full-fat coconut milk chilled in the refrigerator overnight
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Open the chilled can of coconut milk and carefully scoop out the solid part that has risen to the top, leaving behind the liquid. Place the solid coconut milk in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt to the bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients together until well combined and creamy. You can also use a blender for this step. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow it to thicken.