This healthy Almond Butter Granola recipe is made with gluten-free oats, shredded coconut, maple syrup, creamy almond butter, and a hint of cinnamon. A healthy gluten-free and vegan granola recipe for breakfast or snacking!
Nut and seed butter are great ingredients in gluten-free cookies, bread, and brownies. They add flavor, texture, protein, and binding powers, especially in egg-free recipes. And in this easy almond butter granola, it checks all the boxes!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Healthier than store-bought granola
- Perfect snack
- No refined sugar
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
Almond butter - Unsalted is recommended here, otherwise, you may want to adjust the salt called for in this recipe. The nut butter acts as a binder as well as a great source of protein.
Oats - Gluten-free certified rolled oats (old-fashioned oats) are best to ensure there is no cross-contamination.
Almonds - Use unsalted, raw almonds. With healthy fats and a good source of vitamin E, you can easily substitute in other nuts if desired.
Unsweetened shredded coconut - To keep the added sugar to a minimum, choose unsweetened. Coconut flakes are a great substitute.
Maple syrup - The perfect natural sweetener. When you combine oats with it, the outcome is a perfectly clumpy, crunchy granola. Swap in honey (if not vegan) for a delicious honey almond granola. Use my honey almond butter if desired!
Coconut oil - Melted coconut oil keeps things dairy-free. If needed, you can swap in avocado oil or olive oil. To avoid a "hint of coconut," use refined coconut oil.
Coconut sugar - Just a tablespoon of this natural sweetener helps round out the flavor.
Ground cinnamon - A little bit of this pantry staple adds warmth and sweetness.
Vanilla extract - Vanilla adds sweetness without the added sugar!
Optional mix-ins - Dried fruit, hemp hearts, whole or ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or dairy-free chocolate chips.
Before you start: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, melt your coconut oil and allow it to cool.
Step 1: In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, coconut, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
Step 2: Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to the melted coconut oil. Whisk until combined. Add nut butter to dry ingredients in a large bowl, then pour in the wet ingredients mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula until the oat mixture is completely coated.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. Press down the granola mixture into an even, packed layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Granola is done when it starts to turn golden brown.
Step 4: When finished baking, remove from the oven and allow the granola to cool completely to room temperature. Then break it into pieces. This will ensure clumps!
- Packing the gluten-free oat mixture down tightly and allowing the granola to cool completely, will help make those great clumps with the perfect crunch!
- Store your granola in an airtight container to keep it fresh for up to a week.
There are so many ways to enjoy this homemade granola recipe! Here are a few ideas to enjoy it:
- Top a yogurt bowl or on ice cream
- Sprinkle on a smoothie bowl
- Put in ziplock bags for healthy snacks
- Eat with milk and top with fresh fruit
When made with certified gluten-free oats, this healthy granola recipe is gluten-free. There are no other gluten-containing ingredients in this recipe.
Peanut, cashew, and sunflower seed butter are all great substitutes depending on the recipe and usage. Flavors will alter slightly, but the texture will remain virtually the same.
Roll oats (also known as old-fashioned oats) are recommended for making granola. Quick oats have a different texture and will bake up differently. Choose certified gluten-free oats if following a gluten-free diet.
More healthy breakfast recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Almond Butter Granola
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, coconut, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, melt your coconut oil. Let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Add almond butter to dry ingredients in large bowl, then pour in liquid mixture. Stir with a large spoon until the oat mixture is completely coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Using an extra piece of parchment paper, press down oat mixture into an even, packed layer.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring halfway through bake time and carefully flattening back into an even layer with your piece of parchment (wear an oven mitt). Granola is done when it starts to turn golden.
- When finished baking, remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely on a wire rack before breaking it into pieces and placing in an airtight container. This will ensure there are clumps!