This easy Chickpea Avocado Salad recipe is a light and fresh meal or side dish. With protein-rich chickpeas, creamy avocado, and other fresh veggies, it can be ready in 10 minutes. Gluten-free and vegan.
With little prep, you can have a fresh, hearty salad that's just as good as a main dish as it is a side dish.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Fresh ingredients
- Simple dressing
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Chickpeas - Canned chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, make this super easy. Chickpeas are a good protein and dietary fiber source and are rich in essential nutrients and vitamins.
Avocado - A ripe avocado adds a creamy texture and healthy fats to this delicious salad.
Cherry tomatoes - This type of tomato adds a pop of juicy sweetness. Grape tomatoes work well too.
Celery - Sliced celery adds a little crunch to balance the softer textures.
Artichoke hearts - Drained and rinsed, artichokes bring a briny flavor. Hearts of palm make a great alternative.
Olive oil - The base of our homemade dressing. Use quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
Lemon juice - Fresh lemon juice adds brightness to the easy salad dressing.
Garlic - A little bit of minced garlic rounds out the dressing. Don't have garlic? Substitute with a ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
Parsley - If fresh parsley is not available you can substitute with dried. Use one teaspoon of dried parsley to one tablespoon fresh.
Depending on the flavor combination you are going for, fresh cilantro, fresh dill, or other fresh herbs would also make a great substitute.
Before you start: Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas.
Step 1: In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, celery, and artichoke hearts.
Step 2: In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Step 3: Pour the dressing over the chickpea avocado mixture.
Step 4: Gently toss until everything is evenly coated. Add fresh parsley and toss.
- This salad is best when chilled for at least 30 minutes.
- You can meal prep the salad dressing and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the garbanzo bean salad.
- Want a little spicy kick? Add some red pepper flakes to the dressing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
This healthy chickpea salad makes a quick lunch, an easy side dish, or a main dish. Here are some other great ways to serve it:
- Pair it with soup or a sandwich
- With a baguette
- On top of leafy greens
- Fill it in a pita bread pocket
You can chop the vegetables, including the avocado, ahead of time and store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Store the avocado chunks in water to prevent them from browning. Prepare the dressing and store it in a separate airtight container.
Due to the fresh ingredients in this chickpea salad with avocado, the salad can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.
There are countless ways to customize and enhance a basic chickpea avocado salad recipe. Mixed greens, red or green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, corn, bell peppers, and even sunflower seeds would be a perfect addition.
If you prefer to use fresh artichokes in this salad, check out this tutorial for instant pot artichokes.
More easy side recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- 1 - 15oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 - 14oz can quartered artichoke hearts drained, rinsed, and halved
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup parsley chopped optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, celery, and artichoke hearts.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpea-avocado mixture and gently toss until everything is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add fresh parsley and toss. Chill for 20-30 minutes before serving.