Elevate your sandwich game with our Veggie BLT sandwich featuring savory mushroom bacon, fresh lettuce, ripe tomatoes, and mayo. Gluten-free and vegan.
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato could be considered one of the great classic sandwiches. One of the easiest sandwich recipes with layers of flavor.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Uses plant-based bacon made from mushrooms
- Gluten-free and vegan blt recipe
- Simple ingredients
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Fresh tomato - Juicy tomato slices are a crucial layer in a BLT.
Lettuce - Fresh lettuce leaves are another essential ingredient. Use iceberg or romaine lettuce.
Mushroom bacon - Prepare this vegan bacon ahead of time and have it stored in the fridge.
Vegan mayo - Use your favorite regular or vegan mayo of choice based on your dietary needs.
Gluten-free bread - Just two slices of bread whether whole-grain or white bread, gluten-free, vegan, or both.
Salt and black pepper
Before you start: Toast your bread to a golden brown. Make sure your mushroom bacon is ready.
Step 1: Spread mayo on top of each slice of toasted bread.
Step 2: Layer pieces of crisp lettuce atop each slice. Place one tomato slice on top of each lettuce-covered slice of bread. Salt and pepper each slice of tomato. Place 2-3 thick slices of bacon on each tomato slice. Carefully close the sandwich and cut it in half.
- Prep your mushroom bacon substitute the day before and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for the easiest assembly. Great for meal prep!
- Stop by your nearest farmer's market and buy local tomatoes. In-season juicy tomatoes are the best!
Want a BLT recipe with a twist for extra flavor? The template for this sandwich makes it simple to add some "extras." The following ingredients will up your BLT game!
- Cool and creamy avocado slices are a great contrast to crunchy lettuce
- Swap in sprouts for crispy lettuce
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the tomato slices before salt and pepper
- Add a little heat with hot peppers or spicy mayo
- Vegan cheese to amp up the flavor
- A schmear of dijon mustard
- Red onion for added taste and crunch
- Spread a little pesto on your whole-grain bread
- Fried egg (if not vegan)
With a simple marinade of maple syrup, gluten-free soy sauce, and spices, different types of mushrooms can be transformed into chewy, "meaty" slices.
Mushroom, coconut, and eggplant bacon, tempeh, and seitan are all options for a vegan version of bacon. It is important to note that while vegetarian, seitan is not gluten-free.
Hooray Foods and Soy Boy are plant-based bacon options that are gluten-free. There are many brands like Morningstar Farms, Tofurkey, Sweet Earth, and Upton's Naturals that sell vegetarian bacon but are not gluten-free.
Yes! You can now find vegan mayonnaise in most major grocery stores and health food stores. Also known as "veganaise," here are some brands that make it: Earth Balance, Mindful Mayo, Trader Joe's Vegan Spread and Dressing, Sir Kensington's Fabanaise, Whole Foods 365 Vegan Mayo, Hellman's Vegan Mayo
More recipes with tomatoes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Veggie BLT Sandwich
- 2 slices gluten-free bread vegan too if needed
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 strips mushroom bacon (store-bought vegetarian bacon can also be used.)
- Toast two slices of gluten-free bread. Spread vegan mayo on top of each slice of bread.
- Layer pieces of lettuce atop each slice. Place one tomato slice on top of each lettuce-covered slice of bread. Salt and pepper each slice of tomato.
- Place 2-3 slices of mushroom bacon on each tomato slice.
- Carefully close the sandwich and cut in half. Serve immediately.
Alison B Cooper