These Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are made with almond flour, cocoa powder, crushed candy canes and chocolate chips! Dairy-free and egg-free.
It's the most wonderful cookie time of the year! The holiday season makes it pretty tough to choose which cookie recipe to make first.
Especially when you have recipes for eggless chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate cookies, or lemon crinkle cookies.
A good problem to have. But to make it a little easier to choose, go ahead and make these gluten-free chocolate peppermint cookies.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cookies Ingredients
While candy canes and chocolate chips don't make this a "healthy" cookie, you can feel better about the base ingredients.
Here are the major items you will need:
- Almond flour
- Almond butter
- Maple syrup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed candy canes
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Have all your ingredients prepped and ready. This includes crushing your candy canes.
Now, time to make cookies!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix almond butter, water, and maple syrup in medium bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Transfer dry ingredients to wet and stir until dough forms.
- Fold in crushed candy canes and chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough with a tablespoon and roll into ball.
- Dip top of dough ball into a plate of crushed candy canes.
- Place on baking sheet in even rows.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
When it comes to candy canes, you can buy them crushed or crush them yourself. Here are a couple methods to make it easier to crush your own.
- Place peppermints in a freezer ziploc bag. Crush with a rolling pin or mallet.
- Freezing the peppermints or candy canes beforehand will help make them more brittle.
Love peppermint? These chocolate peppermint snowball cookies will melt in your mouth! Plus, this deconstructed peppermint cheesecake recipe is adorable!
More Vegan Christmas Cookies
Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms
Chewy Chocolate Molasses Cookies
Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup all-natural almond butter (well stirred)
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup (75g) almond flour
- ½ cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup crushed candy canes or peppermints
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes or peppermints
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place the ¼ cup of crushed candy cane topping on a small plate. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond butter, water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together until smooth. In a separate bowl, add almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to integrate ingredients.
- Transfer dry ingredients into bowl of liquid ingredients. Stir until a dough forms.
- Fold in ⅓ cup crushed candy canes and chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and roll together into a ball with your hands. (The dough will be slightly sticky, so lightly wet your hands as needed to make rolling easier.) If cookie dough separates when rolling into ball, squish and reroll into a smooth ball.Dip top only of dough ball into crushed candy canes on plate. Place ball on cookie sheet. Flatten dough ball about halfway down with palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before removing with a spatula and placing on wire rack to cool. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Love love love anything chocolate and peppermint. These look so good.