Easy Buckeyes peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate! Healthier ingredients and less sugar. Gluten-free and vegan.
Sometimes two ingredients are a perfect match. For instance, chocolate and peanut butter.
Enter these buckeye peanut butter balls.
So what are buckeyes? The candy is named after the nut from the buckeye tree. Buckeye candy also contains peanut butter fudge wrapped in chocolate.
In addition, classic buckeyes are made with peanut butter, confectioner's sugar, butter, and chocolate chips.
As a result, the peanut butter on top creates the buckeye look.
Ingredients for Chocolate Buckeyes
In addition to less sugar, this buckeye recipe uses other healthier ingredients. But these vegan peanut butter balls are still flavorful.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Creamy natural peanut butter
- Almond flour
- Arrowroot starch
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
How to Make Buckeyes
Called easy buckeyes for a reason!
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add almond flour, arrowroot, and salt.
- Whisk together ingredients.
- Add peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Stir mixture until dough forms.
- Roll dough into balls.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate.
- Return dipped balls to cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate balls until chocolate sets.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out this healthy chocolate cake and the recipes below!
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add almond flour, arrowroot starch, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk ingredients to combine.
- Add peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla to dry ingredients. Stir mixture until dough forms.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop dough and roll into balls. Place balls on cookie sheet in rows. Transfer to the freezer and freeze for 20 minutes.
- While peanut butter balls are chilling, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwavable bowl for 30 second intervals. Stir after each interval until almost all chips are melted. Then stir until completely melted.
- Remove peanut butter balls from freezer. Use a toothpick (or fork) to dip each ball in the melted chocolate, leaving a top circle uncovered so that the peanut butter is showing. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and transfer back to cookie sheet. Continue until all balls have been dipped.
- Place cookie sheet with buckeyes in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Store buckeyes in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.