How to Make Sweet Potato Toast for breakfast, a snack, and lighter meals for an easy and nutritious gluten-free option! Vegan too.
This is the only type of meal prep routine I can make stick.
I know the sweet potato toast concept is not a new one, but for me it’s a deliciously easy and nutritious gluten-free option that you can prepare ahead of time. Not only can you prepare your toasts ahead of time, the topping combinations are endless.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Toast Ingredients
This lineup of ingredients for the sweet potato toast itself couldn’t be simpler. All you need is one raw sweet potato.
Do you need oil to make sweet potato toast? I find it is not necessary to use oil when making the toasts, but I sometimes like to use it to add a little extra good fat or depth of flavor. Depending on my mood and the toppings I’m choosing, I may brush a little olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil on the tops before putting the slices in the oven.
Sweet potato toppings are the fun part. Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Everything bagel seasoning and avocado
- Berries and yogurt
- Peanut butter and bananas
- Almond butter, pecans, and pineapple
But truly, your toppings can be as simple or as dressed up as you would like them. I find it’s an excellent way to use what I have in the pantry or the fridge. Get creative!
Sweet Potato Toast in the Oven
Now, while we may be talking about “toast,” initially the oven is where we’ll start. Using the oven is the easiest and fastest way to cook all your slices at once.
If you won’t be serving all those slices immediately, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. This is where the toaster part comes in.
To reheat, place your slice in the toaster just as you would a piece of bread. Or, use your toaster oven. If neither of those are an option for you, using the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit works as well.
For more nutritious gluten-free breakfast inspiration, check out Taylor’s high protein banana bread!
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast
Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil optional
Optional Topping Combinations:
Everything Bagel Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
- mashed avocado
- everything bagel seasoning
Strawberry and Yogurt Sweet Potato Toast
- sliced fresh strawberries (or other berries)
- dairy-free yogurt or cow's milk yogurt
Peanut Butter and Bananas Sweet Potato Toast
- creamy peanut butter
- sliced bananas
- honey or maple syrup
- ground cinnamon
Pineapple Pecan Sweet Potato Toast
- almond butter
- chunked or crushed pineapple
- chopped pecans
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the ends of the sweet potato. Carefully slice sweet potato lengthwise into about 1/2 inch slices. Place slices in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. If using an oil (not necessary), use a pastry brush to lightly brush on top of sweet potato slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Test for doneness by piercing with a fork. Top with preferred toppings and serve immediately. Or, allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Reheat in the toaster or toaster oven (on medium). If reheating in the regular oven, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and then reheat for 10 minutes.