This creamy and flavorful Sour Cream and Chive Dip is an easy recipe perfect for snacking that is ready in just 5 minutes! Serve with fresh veggies or chips. Easily made dairy-free.
Whether you need an appetizer for game day or movie night, this homemade dip with creamy sour cream and fresh herbs is the perfect thing.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Great crowd-pleasing appetizer
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Sour cream - To keep things dairy-free, there are a variety of plant-based options.
Fresh chives - You'll want to use fresh for this recipe and not dried for the best chive flavor.
Garlic - Fresh minced garlic adds the best flavor, but garlic powder will do in a pinch.
Lemon juice - The sour acid from fresh lemon juice helps balance out our tangy dip.
Onion powder - A little bit of this goes a long way. You can easily omit it if needed.
Before you start: Chop your chives and get out all ingredients.
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.
Step 2: Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Give it a good stir before serving.
- Chilling this dairy-free dip before serving allows the flavors to really meld.
This delicious dip is perfect with crispy potato chips, but there are so many gluten-free serving options! Here are some ideas on how to use it:
- Crunchy veggies (carrots, celery sticks, bell peppers)
- Sweet potato wedges or sweet potato fries
- Pita chips, savory oat crackers, or tortilla chips
- French fries or polenta fries
- Use as a sandwich spread
- Serve with smashed potatoes
- Alongside chicken wings
Yes! If you prefer to lighten up this dip, dairy-free or regular Greek yogurt is a great option.
To ensure this dip recipe is vegan, use a dairy-free, plant-based option. The additional ingredients called for in the recipe are all vegan.
Although chives and green onions have some similarities, they are not the same thing. Chives have a mild, more delicate onion flavor while green onions have a stronger, sharp onion flavor.
More easy appetizer recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
- 1 cup (8oz) dairy-free or regular sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and dip to thicken back up.
- Before serving, season with additional salt and black pepper if desired and give it a good stir. Garnish with extra chives or black pepper.