This Easy Gluten-Free Mug Cake recipe is an easy dessert for one or two! Gooey and full of rich chocolate flavor in just 5 minutes. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
A mug cake is the perfect solution for a quick gluten-free dessert. When the whole thing is ready in just minutes, what's stopping you?
This healthy chocolate mug cake recipe satisfies a chocolate craving without skimping flavor.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Ready in just 5 minutes
- Easy recipe
- Simple ingredients
- No eggs
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
I like using Bob's Red Mill brand.
It is a perfect flour for those new to gluten-free baking. Check out these easy almond flour recipes and the ones below!
Cocoa powder - Unsweetened cocoa powder (or natural cocoa powder) helps reinforce our almond flour and adds a rich chocolate flavor.
Arrowroot starch - This helps give a fluffy texture and acts as a binder. Cornstarch can be substituted.
Almond milk - Unsweetened almond milk or any dairy-free milk of choice will work.
Coconut milk, soy milk, cashew, or oat milk are all great nondairy milk alternatives.
Avocado or olive oil - A neutral oil like avocado oil or even extra virgin olive oil is a great dairy-free option in place of butter.
To substitute, use melted refined coconut oil to avoid an additional "hint of coconut." Melted vegan butter is an excellent neutral dairy-free option.
Maple syrup - This natural sweetener adds sweetness and depth of flavor without being overly sweet.
Vanilla extract - Rounds out our cake flavors! Use quality vanilla for the best flavor.
Chocolate chips (optional) - Dairy-free chocolate chips in either semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
Before you start: Get out all the ingredients, this will go fast!
Step 1: In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine the wet ingredients—oil, almond milk, and maple syrup.
Add the dry ingredients—cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until smooth.
Step 2: Add chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into one 8-ounce microwave-safe mug or two 4-ounce ramekins.
Microwave for a minute and twenty seconds for one mug or 50-60 seconds for two small ramekins.
- Carefully remove the mug from the microwave with a mitt or towel as it may be hot to the touch. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. The cake will continue to cook as it cools.
Serve this gluten-free chocolate treat with one of the following for an extra delicious single-serving cake:
- Fresh berries
- Vanilla ice cream
- Drizzle of peanut butter
- Coconut whipped cream
- Chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Sprinkles (check for gluten-free and/or vegan if needed)
- Dusting of organic powdered sugar
- A dollop of date caramel
- Sea salt
If you love a delicious delicious gluten-free mug cake, you'll love these chocolate chip cookie pots.
Cook your mug recipe in the microwave on high.
This gluten-free mug cake recipe uses protein-rich almond flour and almond milk for a thick cake-like texture.
Due to the nature of being cooked in a coffee mug, there is no need to worry about a binder or leavener.
More almond flour recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Gluten-Free Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil avocado oil, olive oil, refined coconut oil, or melted and cooled vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine oil, almond milk, and maple syrup.
- Add the cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until smooth. Add chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into one 8 ounce microwave safe mug or two 4 ounce ramekins. Microwave for a minute and twenty seconds for one mug, 50-60 seconds for two small ramekins.Heat in additional 10 second intervals as needed.
- Carefully remove mug from microwave with mitt or towel as it may be hot to the touch. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Cake will continue to cook as it cools. Serve mug cake with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream or other desired toppings.