This Almond Flour Chocolate Mug Cake recipe is an easy dessert for two. Gooey and full of rich chocolate flavor. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
Personal chocolate cake under 5 minutes flat? 100% yes.
Microwave mug cakes are just the right kind of almost instant gratification. This one is even gluten-free, vegan, and sweetened with maple syrup.
Chocolate Mug Cake Ingredients
You may already have all these ingredients in your pantry. So, take a look. Here is what you will need:
- Neutral oil
- Almond flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Arrowroot starch
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
How to Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
How do you make mug cake without eggs? The wonderful thing about mug cake is the ooey gooey factor. When making this egg-free version, arrowroot starch is used to help bind.
Because we want the gooeyness, eggs are not missed here for helping to create clean crumbs or significant rise. Don’t have arrowroot starch? You can easily substitute it for cornstarch.
Do you have to use chocolate chips? Chocolate chips are not necessary, but they do help give this almond flour mug cake its decadent chocolate pockets and depth of flavor.
Some mug cakes can become dry from overcooking. Along with the almond milk, the melted chocolate chips help keep things moist. A couple tablespoons of chopped dairy-free chocolate works great also.
What kind of oil can you use? A neutral oil is best. Avocado oil and light olive oil have a mild flavor. Extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil will also work well here.
If you don’t want even the faintest hint of coconut, use refined coconut oil. And, if dairy is not something you need to avoid, regular butter works too.
When using vegan butter or regular butter, melt it first and allow to cool before assembling ingredients.
What to Serve with Mug Cake
- Vanilla ice cream (dairy-free)
- Coconut whipped cream
- Chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Sprinkles (check for gluten-free and/or vegan if needed)
- Dusting of organic powdered sugar
- A dollop of date caramel
- Sea salt
More Gluten-Free Chocolate Recipes
Almond Flour Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil avocado oil, olive oil, refined coconut oil, or melted and cooled vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine oil, almond milk, and maple syrup.
- Add the cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until smooth. Add chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into one 8 ounce microwave safe mug or two 4 ounce ramekins. Microwave for a minute and twenty seconds for one mug, 50-60 seconds for two small ramekins.
- Carefully remove mug from microwave with mitt or towel as it may be hot to the touch. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Cake will continue to cook as it cools. Top mug cake with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream or other desired toppings.