This easy Apple Mug Cake is a delicious single-serve dessert made with almond flour. No egg, gluten-free, and dairy-free!
This easy apple mug cake recipe is ready in just minutes.
With the use pantry ingredients and diced apples you'll have a healthy apple mug cake with minimal effort.
This recipe allows for two small ramekin cakes or one large mug cake!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Apple cinnamon flavor
- Simple ingredients
- Single-serve treat
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
Arrowroot starch - This helps give a fluffy texture and acts as a binder. Cornstarch can be substituted.
Maple syrup - This natural sweetener adds sweetness and a caramel flavor without being overly sweet.
Almond milk - Unsweetened almond milk or any dairy-free milk of choice will work.
Coconut milk, soy milk, cashew, or oat milk are all great nondairy milk alternatives.
Neutral oil - A mild neutral oil like avocado oil or even extra virgin olive oil is a great dairy-free option in place of butter.
Melted vegan butter (or real butter if not dairy-free) or melted coconut oil can be used as well.
Fresh apples - Apple varieties like Gala, Jonagolds, Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady apples all work well.
Any apples you have on hand will work.
Vanilla extract - Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
Before you start: Chop the apples and have all ingredients out. This goes quickly!
Step 1: In a large microwave-safe mug (at least 8 ounces), combine oil, almond milk, and maple syrup.
Step 2: Add the , arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until smooth. Add chopped apple. Stir to combine.
Step 3: Microwave for a minute, then an interval of 30 seconds. One additional interval of 30 seconds if needed.
Step 4: Carefully remove mug from microwave with mitt or towel as it may be hot to the touch. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- The gluten-free cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- You can stir up the wet ingredients and dry ingredients in a small bowl and then transfer to a mug if you prefer.
- Cooking time will vary a little bit based on the wattage of your microwave.
This apple cinnamon mug cake is warm and delicious on its own. But there are definitely some toppings that can elevate microwave cakes.
- Scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Dollop of dairy-free whipped cream
- Chopped pecans or walnuts
- Drizzle of caramel sauce (caramel apple cake!)
Use a mug that is at least 8-12 ounces (237-355ml). This allows for the cake batter to rise and prevent it from spilling over the side.
Yes! Most microwave mug cake recipes use baking powder which helps the cake rise. This vegan apple mug cake recipe just uses a pinch of baking powder so the rise isn't as significant.
Microwave mug cakes are best eaten warm for a perfectly gooey cake. They can be eaten cold if desired.
More apple dessert recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Apple Mug Cake (Gluten-Free)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil avocado oil, olive oil, or melted and cooled coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ⅓ cup + ¼ cup (50g) almond flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking powder
- ¼ cup diced apples
- In a large microwave-safe mug (at least 8 ounces), combine oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the cinnamon, arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk with a fork until smooth. Add chopped apples. Stir to combine.
- Microwave for 90 seconds. If there is wet cake batter on top, microwave for 15 second intervals until top has firmed up.
- Carefully remove mug from microwave with mitt or towel as it may be hot to the touch. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. The cake will continue to cook as it cools.
Two Ramekins Instructions
- If using two 4-ounce ramekins, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and then divide between the ramekins. Microwave for 50-60 seconds and additional 10 second increments if needed.