An easy savory trail mix full of protein and fiber, this Spicy Roasted Chickpea Snack Mix is a feel good way to snack. Perfect for on-the-go! Gluten-free and vegan.
The older I get, the more I find myself gravitating towards salty snacks over sweet ones. When traveling by car or by plane (or train!) I reach for the crunchy, salty option every time.
Now that sweet is not my first reach these days, there's still always the dilemma of healthy salty-crunchy or whatever looks best at the convenience store (I see you Fritos).
Enter this spicy roasted chickpea snack mix and problem solved. Roasted chickpeas can be deliciously addictive all on their own, but added to a combination of nuts and seeds and you've got a trail mix worth reaching for.
A perfect salty, spicy crunch every time.
Based on your tolerance and spicy preference, you can use more or less cayenne. I tend to like things on the spicier side, so I used the ½ teaspoon noted in the recipe.
Spicy Roasted Chickpea Snack Mix
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt for sprinkling
- 1 lbs raw nuts and seeds of choice almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pepitas
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper based on spicy preference
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drain can of chickpeas and rinse. Dry chickpeas gently with paper towel. Place chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss with hands to coat. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until chickpeas have become crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Change oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an additional baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, place nuts and seeds. Drizzle 1-2 teaspoons olive oil over nuts and seeds. Toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and toast in oven for 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven, stir on tray. Return to oven and toast for 2-3 minutes more, watching closely. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.NOTE: If using smaller seeds, watch toasting closely so they do not burn.
- Once cooled, return nuts and seeds to medium bowl. Add cooled chickpeas. Add all seasonings and toss to coat. Add additional salt to taste if desired. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.