These Gluten-Free Caramel Brownies have a middle layer of date caramel, topped with a layer of dairy-free chocolate ganache. Vegan.
Date caramel has really transformed how I view traditional caramel-laden treats.
The combination of Medjool dates with a little coconut milk and maple syrup creates that magic golden sauce. Just right in sweetness and texture, it's the perfect dairy-free and refined sugar-free substitute for the original.
What better than to have date caramel brownies topped with dairy-free chocolate ganache?
Caramel Brownie Ingredients
On board yet? Here are the major players for these vegan gluten-free caramel brownies:
- vegan butter
- ground flaxseeds
- organic cane sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- almond flour
- Medjool dates
- coconut milk
- maple syrup
- dairy-free chocolate chips
Making Layered Brownies
When making layered brownies, reading through the directions and accounting for prep time are crucial.
While you can prepare the middle and the top layer as the brownie base bakes, you do want to account for cooling time and chilling time once assembled.
The top layer of chocolate ganache takes about 3 to 4 hours to set, so this is a great night-before kind of recipe.
Once the brownies are set and ready to be sliced, remove them from the pan using the parchment flaps and transfer to a cutting board. Once cut, gently separate using a metal spatula.
Brownies that are not eaten immediately should be stored in the refrigerator. This actually helps them after they've been sliced to retain their single square shape.
Need an extra dessert that is gluten-free and vegan this Memorial Day weekend? Check out Erin's vegan peanut butter cookies. They go well on the dessert table with these vegan caramel brownies.
More Recipes with Date Caramel
Gluten-Free Caramel Brownies
Dairy-Free Chocolate Ganache
- 7 ounces (about 1 ¼ cup) dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and then line with two pieces of overlapping parchment paper.
- Prepare your flax eggs and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. Melt your vegan butter in a glass measuring cup.
- In a medium bowl, add cane sugar and pour melted vegan butter over top. Whisk to combine. Add flax eggs followed by vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk to incorporate.
- Finally, add cocoa powder and almond flour, stirring until batter is smooth. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth batter with a spatula so that it sits evenly in pan.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes. Place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Making Date Caramel
- While brownies are baking, prepare your date caramel. Place your dates, pitted and sliced in half, in a blender. Cover dates with warm water and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain dates and place them back into blender. Add remaining date caramel ingredients and blend on high until smooth.
- Store date caramel in the refrigerator until brownies are cooled. When ready to assemble, spread about ⅔ cup of date caramel on top the brownie base. Place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before adding the ganache layer.
Making the Dairy-Free Chocolate Ganache
- While the brownies with caramel layer chills, use a medium microwavable bowl and add chocolate chips and coconut milk. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate chips are almost completely melted (about two 30-second intervals). Stir until chocolate has completely dissolved.
- Pour ganache over chilled brownies, spreading evenly. Place in the refrigerator until ganache has set, about 3-4 hours.
- Once set, remove brownies from pan, place on cutting board, and cut with a sharp knife.
- Brownies should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Cut brownies will retain their shape and caramel when chilled after cutting.