An easy, no-fuss dessert, this Hasselback Pears recipe is sure to impress. Serve with vanilla ice cream! Gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
It seems as soon our apple haul was about used up, I started hoarding pears. Red, green, yellow, and those golden hues in-between.
And while apples may take all the glory in the fall months (or do they?), I’m convinced pears need some spotlight too.
With Thanksgiving now in sight, this easy pear recipe featuring the Hasselback style will satisy and impress at holiday tables and gatherings without too much effort.
What I love most about this simple dessert is how it evokes the wonderful aromas and flavors of a fruit crisp, but with a fancier presentation. Cinnamon, ginger, walnuts, and oats peek out from thinly sliced layers to add a bit of crunch. Serve it with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream, and I promise you won’t be missing the pie.
Hasselback pears will be your new simple dessert!
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Hasselback Pears Recipe (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- 2 slightly ripe pears I used Bartlett, peeled, halved, and cored
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger divided
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free oats
- 2 tablespoons walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free oat flour gf all-purpose, almond flour, or sorghum will work also
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking dish with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt 1 tablespoons of coconut oil. Once cooled slightly, add 1 tablespoon of the coconut sugar, a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ginger. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut slices into the pears, about a 1/4 inch apart, stopping before you cut all the way through the bottom.
- Place the pears cut side down into the prepared baking dish. Using a pastry brush, brush the coconut oil mixture over the pears. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- While the pears are baking, prepare the streusel mixture. Cut the remaining coconut oil in small pieces and place in a small bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 quarter teaspoon ginger, oats, walnuts, and oat flour. Mix with your fingers to blend.
- When the pears are done baking, remove from oven and adjust heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully separate the slices with a fork and then distribute streusel on top and in-between slices.
- Return pears to oven, tent with foil, and bake for about 15 more minutes.
- Allow pears to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream of choice or coconut whipped cream.