This easy Pear Crumble is made with fresh juicy pears, warm spices, and an oat flour crumble topping. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Gluten-free and vegan.
This easy baked pear recipe is the perfect fall dessert. With warm cinnamon and ginger pears and sweet, warm crumbles, this will become one of your favorite desserts for the season.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy dessert
- Simple ingredients
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the main ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Gluten-free oat flour - This whole-grain flour makes up the base of the vegan crumble topping. You can easily make your own oat flour with a food processor. If you have oats in the pantry, do this instead of using store-bought.
Fresh pears - Bartlett pears are the best pears for this recipe due to their natural sweetness. But other kind of pears like Bosc pears, Anjou, and Comice pears will work as well.
Maple syrup - This natural unrefined sweetener makes for a deliciously syrupy pear filling. Pure maple syrup adds caramel-like notes similar to brown sugar or coconut sugar.
Vegan butter - This vegan option helps to replicate the true buttery crumble of a traditional fruit crumble.
Cinnamon, Ginger, and Vanilla extract - Little but mighty, these ingredients tie everything together!
Before you start: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1.5-2 quart baking dish with cooking spray or extra vegan butter.
Step 1: Place pears into a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ground cinnamon. Add maple syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla, stir to coat.
Step 2: Transfer pear mixture to prepared baking dish.
Step 3: In the large bowl add organic cane sugar and vegan butter. Cream the mixture. Cut in remaining vanilla, oat flour, ¼ cup arrowroot starch, and a ¼ teaspoon salt until the oat mixture has pea-sized coarse crumbs.
Step 4: Cover the top of the pears in an even layer with the crumble mixture. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- When baking or cooking pears, an underripe pear works best. I like to use pears that have just started to ripen for this fruit crumble. This allows them to hold their shape when baked.
- Like my peach oat crumble, apple crumble, and vegan blackberry crumble, this easy pear crumble recipe is delicious when served with vanilla ice cream or dairy-free whipped cream.
Storage and reheating
Store this pear dessert by wrapping foil or plastic wrap over the baking dish or keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat portions, place an individual portion in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30-second intervals until warm.
To reheat the whole dish, heat it in a 300-degree Fahrenheit oven until warm. Tent the baking dish with foil so that the topping does not brown too much.
For crumble recipes, pears don't have to be peeled. I prefer to peel them but it is up to personal preference.
The primary difference between a crumble and a crisp is the topping texture. A crumble has a crumbly, streusel-like topping, while a crisp topping includes oats, giving it a granola-like texture.
More fruit desserts
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Easy Pear Crumble
- 5 medium Bartlett pears peeled, cored and sliced into ½ inch slices (about 5 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ cup arrowroot starch, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup (65ml) maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
- ½ cup (118g) organic cane sugar
- ½ cup (113.3g) cold vegan butter
- 1 cup (106g) gluten-free oat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1.5-2 quart baking dish with cooking spray or extra vegan butter.
- Place pears into a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, ¼ teaspoon salt, the cinnamon, and the ginger. Add maple syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla, stir to coat.
- Transfer pear mixture to prepared baking dish. Smooth pears into an even layer.
- Clean out the mixing bowl and add organic cane sugar and vegan butter. Cream with an electric mixer. Then, with a couple forks or a pastry cutter, blend in remaining vanilla, oat flour, ¼ cup arrowroot starch, and ¼ teaspoon salt until the mixture has pea-sized coarse crumbs.
- Once the flour and starch are thoroughly integrated, use your hands to form smaller crumbles and then cover the pears evenly with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is starting to turn golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.