This Healthy Gluten-Free Banana Bread is made with brown rice flour and arrowroot starch and completely egg-free and dairy-free! Sweetened with maple syrup.
When the world started making banana bread a few weeks ago, I did too. Comfort food and solidarity seemed like the right course of action. And it still does.
But this time, instead of making one of the banana bread recipes on this website, I experimented.
In gluten-free and egg-free baking, nut and seed butters and nut flours play such a useful role in taste, texture, and binding capabilities. While I love my tahini, decadent chocolate peanut butter, and roasted strawberry breads, none of them are nut-free.
I wanted to share a classic banana bread recipe that checked all the boxes.
One that fits the requirements without giving up flavor. This is where the magic of bananas really shines.
Healthy Gluten-Free Banana Bread Ingredients
Here's the major ingredients you'll need:
- Overripe bananas
- Brown rice flour
- Arrowroot starch
- Ground flaxseeds
- Maple syrup (or honey)
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
Tips for Baking Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread
- The riper the bananas, the better. Overripe bananas give you stellar natural sweetness but also make for great binding properties.
- Brown rice flour can be found at most major grocery stores and health stores. I often purchase mine on Amazon.
- Arrowroot starch helps with structure and keeps this recipe corn-free. If needed and works in your diet, cornstarch is a suitable substitute.
- Maple syrup works in conjunction with the overripe bananas to naturally sweeten this bread. If you are not vegan, honey can work as a substitute if necessary.
Can I add mix-in's? Absolutely. Here are a few ideas:
- Walnuts, pecans, or cashews (if not nut-free)
- Dairy-free or regular chocolate chips
- Dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, or cherries
More Gluten-Free Bread Recipes
Healthy Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 2 flax eggs 2T ground flaxseed + 6T warm water
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups (290g) mashed overripe bananas (3 medium)
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (152g) brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup (45g) arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaf pan with parchment paper. Prepare your flax eggs and allow to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the melted coconut oil, mashed banana, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and flax eggs. Stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixture is evenly incorporated.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. A tester should come out with only a few crumbs. Allow bread to cool completely before slicing.